Saturday, April 11, 2009

Locks of Love

Awhile ago (I wish I could remember how long ago it was), Ashley and I were looking at the website for Locks of Love. They are a non-profit organization that uses donated hair to make wigs for children that are suffering from medical conditions that cause hair loss. Ashley was very touched by the pictures of bald children we saw on the web-site and she immediately wanted to donate her hair. Now, just so you understand, Ashley does not like to have her hair brushed, curled, braided, touched - anything! She has shed many tears over Tom or I trying to brush her hair before she leaves for school, and the most she would let me do was put it in a pony tail. At the time, her hair was a few inches short of the required ten inches and she had already been asking me to give her a hair cut, so for her to keep growing it out was a really big deal. I wanted to make sure she knew what she was committing to, but it didn't even phase her. Once she decided to donate her hair she was determined to let it grow.

This past Thursday while Ashley was out of school for Spring Break, we took her to get her hair cut. My friend, Brittany, has a salon in her house and she took good care of Ashley. (When you need your hair cut I'll give you her number - she will make you look beautiful!) Ashley got 11 inches cut off and she was very proud of that pony tail. I just can't believe how much hair she still has left! I'm so proud of Ashley for donating her hair - what a thoughtful, compassionate thing for her to do. I know some child will be so happy to have hair again because Ashley gave a little of hers. Of course, I also think her new cut is darling! She kinda missed her long hair the first day, but she seems to be very happy with it now. She can brush it by herself and there has been zero fighting - personally, I love that. : )

2 comments:

Kari said...

I can't even believe her hair was that long in the first place! that is so cool... What a sweet girl you have on your hands.

Alice said...

That is a really neat thing to do! Ashley looks really cute with her new haircut and I can't believe how long it still is...even with 11 inches gone! What a sweetheart! She must take after her mom! :)